Photographer

Photographer
Looking at Morro Bay from Cerro Alto

Joe in the Ventana Wilderness

Joe in the Ventana Wilderness
click image for my fine art and photos

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

San Luis Obispo Co wild life and Hiking

Wild Life

I am often asked to post some photos of wild life I have encountered
below are a few photos I will post later , time permitting .
All of these photos , except one  ( the large bear ) are local in the
Los Padres  Forest .

Hikers often tell me that they don't see much wild life .
They ask me for tips on how to see more animals .
My tips are as follow :
* Hike at sun rise and sunset .
* Hike alone .
* Dont listen to music .
Slow down !
*Stop often and look !
* Pay attention to tracks and hike in areas that game is working .
If you have a dog , train it to help you see wild life .

located in the  Los Padres Forest
Btw.  Morro Bay and Atascadero Ca.



Thule Elk


youmg bucks ready to fight
I whistle toget their attention .

above , fight in progress in Pozo area


Kit Fox on Cerro Alto




above  a deer



Mountain lion track  -- Cerro Alto
I hike daily and several times a week I see lion tracks
I see lions monthly but they are toofast to get a photo of .
I photographed   a night shot with a motion activated camera . 
Above a Golden Eagle .
I have photographed many of same .


above bear scat --- blue berries -- Cerro Alto
above   bear  scat manzanita berry
These berries are Cinnamon flavor

bear scat --- grass

very large bear scat -- manzanita berries

small bear --- Pozo area  250 lbs

above -- large bear 500 plus  -- Bear Creek area


very large bear tracks --  Pozo area ( my shoe is size 13 )




Rattle snake   Cerro alto
I see many every week -- often I see several daily .


above a golden eagle  -- wing spans 7 ft
Tom turkey -- Pozo area
this turkey tried to attack me .

Hawk -- Pozo area

Hawk in flight


lady bugs in the spring on Cerro Alto
Banana Slug on Cerro alto

above -- night shot of mountain lion

doves above

wild pigs

golden eagle in flight

golden eagle in tree

 above -- turkey tracks--Pozo area

Above is my daily hiking companion Sierra .
She is three years old .
I know she is not wild life , but I love her .


Above is Sheena -- a professional dancer .
As a professional photographer , I enjoy shooting on Cerro Alto.
I just added this photo to spice things up !


Above is a lion track in the mud , these guys love to use the trails in the rain --
 Cerro Alto trail .
lots of lizzards on the trail

Red tail hawk in flight
I see many hawks .

Cerro Alto trail --- butterfly

Large bear scat on Cerro alto

Bush bunny on Cerro Alto

Fox on Cerro Alto trail

Above and below photos are of a lion foot print on top of a human
hiker's foot print . I hike in the rain . This day , I met this hiker
in a rain storm and noted the lion stalking him .
Look closely and you will see the lion track on top of the
hiker's shoe print . all faded away within minutes .
Lions love to stalk hikers . They usually stalk along
hidden in the chaparral , however when hiking on a in and
out trail on a rainy day I often see myself being stalked .
Now that I have a dog , this no longer happens as Sierra
my dog guards me constantly .


baby mouse , note the size compared to the blade of grass

above  --- raven in flight
I often see flocks of these in flight .

Another Golden eagle .

When hiking under trees  , look up , youwill often be surprised
at what ypu will see !

coyote scat--- note the hair 

another rattler

Dragon fly--- above

Above Buck in velvet ---- new forked horns

above -- a doe at side of trail 
Look right and left of trail -- deer blend in and stand still .

Tom thrkey in the middle of trail .
I often see animals on the trail when hiking slowly 
and alone .
I have often walked to within two or three feet of 
a deer , turkey ,rabbit , or fox when I am 
down wind from them and their back is to me .
Tip --- when  are hiking into a head wind ,
slow down and walk quietly and you may
surprise an animal .
All three above wild life were on Cerro Alto .

Remember I hike with a dog and this requires 
full cooperation of the dog .
Below is Sierra ----- quiet and pointing  .
She helps me see  .



Cerro Alto Quail



above --- a peacock 
This is another example of how a trained dog
can help you locate a wildlife .
My dog pointed out this bird that was hidden 
50 to 60 ft. off trail .

above ---- a night shot of a red fox 

above ---- Mule Deer track 
note the size and the dew claw marks 






No comments: