Photographer

Photographer
Looking at Morro Bay from Cerro Alto

Joe in the Ventana Wilderness

Joe in the Ventana Wilderness
click image for my fine art and photos

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Trail Dog Training

Dog snake Training

Sierra ---age three years old


Sierra and I hike daily all year long . Local hikers with  dogs often ask me how Sierra reacts upon seeing snakes . I explain that I started training sierra to avoid snakes when she was a puppy , and that now I trust her alertness and ability to detect snakes far better than I myself can . She has advantages 
over my skills . Sierra can hear , smell , and see better than I . She now warns me of the presence of snakes  Year one and two I purchased rattle snake prevention shots to protect her . Now Sierra is three years old and trained to avoid snakes so I no longer buy her the shots . I refresh her training every spring with training videos on the big TV screen ..  
the following are but a few samples of snake training . This video ends with sierra three and one half years of age barking at a rattler snake . I hope that your computer is capable of showing all of the video . 




I know that e-collars are possibly the most popular way of training 
but I personally prefer a more humane approach to any dog training goals .
But , that is another subject .
Thus far all the skill sets Sierra has learned for her job 
as a trail dog and security dog have been learned 
through the reward method !
I f you have any questions , e-mail me at joehiker1967@gmail.com






No comments: