Photographer

Photographer
Looking at Morro Bay from Cerro Alto

Joe in the Ventana Wilderness

Joe in the Ventana Wilderness
click image for my fine art and photos

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Lost Valley

10-18-12

On 10-18 2012 Myself , Wayne and Bill entered the Ventana Wilderness on the Lost Valley Trail. The weather was unseasonably hot 99 degrees and the trail was fully exposed to sun . M dog Sierra was carrying a ten lbs pack , and half way up to the saddle ( a 1200 ft climb ) I had to carry her pack hanging it on the back side of my 33 lb pack in an awkward position , which proved to be a big mistake as it became very clumsy and I took a beating . Bill turned back as the heat was too much for him . On the plus side of the climb is the clear trail up to the saddle , thanks to the hard work of some trail work volunteers. The next couple of photos will illustrate the trail last year in November .
The above photos 2011
Water was plentiful at Arroyo Seco and Fish Camp , however the flow was low .The slopes were very dry and difficult to cross thus making the trek a little dangerous but exciting . And now I must tell you that we had to abort our adventure approximately less than  1/4 mile from Lost Valley as I while leading , slid off trail and required assistance from Wayne in pulling myself up to the trail after removing my back pack , a real difficult trick in itself while hanging from a tree limb with one hand .
All went well and we had a great time .The photos below are from this year and show a clear trail in the same location as the photos above .
 
All in all we had a great time and the little mishap of falling only added to the adventure .in the following photos you will see Bill with Junipera Serra mountain behind him , Wayne resting after helping me up to safety from my fall with the slide behind him . Also pictured here is a typical slope shot last year .
In the following photos is my dog Sierra at the repaired sign on the Connector Trail p;us a couple of more shots taken this year .
To add to our excitement , Sierra was a great trail dog as she guarded our camp by alarming us to the presence of a couple of bears and on the first night a mountain lion . They are easy to spot once Sierra points them out . All that is needed is  a flashlight  Sierra also was excellent at scouting out the trail when not visible to us .
Note worthy were the many signs of wildlife on the trail eg. tracks and scat , see the bear scat below.
I hope you enjoyed my trip as much as we did !
 
 
 
 
 
 
 







No comments: